Minor in Computer Science

Hello! My name is Jessica Garza and I am the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of Computer Science. I also serve as the Minor Advisor for the Department.

The Department of Computer Science offers a seven-course minor: an introductory sequence of three courses followed by four approved upper-level courses. Courses in the minor must be taken for quality grades, with a grade of C- or higher in each course.

No courses in the minor can be double counted with the student's major(s) or with other minors, nor can they be counted toward general education requirements. More than half of the requirements for the minor must be met by registering for courses bearing University of Chicago course numbers. Students may not use AP credit for computer science to meet minor requirements.


  1. How do I declare a minor in CS?

    • You'll need to complete the Consent to Complete a Minor Program form. Once you've completed it, I will review your course plan and approve or request updates. Once approved, you'll send the signed form to your College Adviser.
  2. How do we set up a meeting to discuss the minor?

    • I am on campus on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Feel free to drop in if you're in the building.
    • If you'd like to schedule a meeting, send me an email requesting my appointment page.
    • Appointments on Tuesdays/Thursdays are currently being held via zoom.
    • Appointments on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays can be held in person or via zoom.
    • I'm happy to meet with you either before or after you've completed your form. If you have questions about how you should fill it out, we can discuss your options.
  3. I don't know for certain what upper-level courses I want to take. How should I fill out the form?

    • Your course plan does not lock you into any courses. I'd also note, that listing a course on your course plan does not guarantee you a seat in that course.
    • You should review the upcoming schedule, if available, and list the courses that you hope to take.
  4. I already submitted my form to my College Adviser, but I took different upper-level courses than what was approved on my form. What should I do?

  5. Can I take graduate courses for the upper-level courses?

    • Yes! Graduate CMSC and TTIC courses are typically acceptable for the minor. Note, not all "Topics" courses may qualify.
  6. I took CMSC 151 but decided against pursuing the major. I'd like to pursue a minor but want to switch to CMSC 12xxxx.

    • Unfortunately, that pathway is not allowed in the Department. Students are only allowed to go through one intro sequence.
  7. I need one of the courses in the intro sequence towards my major. Can I still complete a minor?

    • Yes! When one of the CMSC 1xx-level courses are being counted towards a major, students in the minor are able to take a CMSC 2xx-level course in replacement. This would mean you would end up with two CMSC 1xx-level courses, and five CMSC 2xx-level courses required for your minor in CS.